About Hop's Place

Home Page | Wholesale Parts | Paint Department | Local Services | Machine Shop | Auto Repair | Glass Department | About Hops Place | Contact Us

 

Hopís Place, Inc.

Serving Families and Servicing Cars Since 1922

Click Here To See PDF

  Hopís Place, founded in 1922, has remained a family owned and operated full service automotive parts and paint supply store, an automotive glass repair and replacement facility, and an auto machine shop and auto repair shop all rolled into onecorporation. Hopís Place has maintained its reputation for quality of merchandise and excellence of personal service for 95 years due to the companyís experienced and dedicated associates. The strength of Hopís Place has always been its employees.

 
 

The History of Hopís Place

In 1922, G. Chandler Hopkins, a former Fleischmannís Yeast route salesman, and George S. Tyree, his brother-in-law, began Hopís Place on Queen Street in a corner of the Brittingham Furniture Company building, which was diagonally across from St. Johnís Church in downtown Hampton, Virginia. Hopís Place, during the early years, sold automotive parts, tires, and accessories\

.

In 1925, a devastating fire destroyed the four story Brittingham Furniture Company building. Fortunately, Mr. Chandler Hopkins and Mr. George Tyree had recently moved their business. The Newport News Times-Herald reported January 12, 1925, that Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Tyree ďrecently completed a large and imposing filling station and supply store on 17 and 19 Armistead Avenue where they started business this morningĒ.

Hopís Place, a Gulf gasoline distributor for ashort time, was primarily an Amoco (American Oil Company) gasoline distributorand was supplied by the Hornsby Oil Company. In addition to automotive parts, tires, accessories and gasoline Hopís Place began to offer other products and services such as tire retreading, Exide automobile batteries, complete lubrication, automobile washing and simonizing, vulcanizing andgeneral auto repair. Hopís Place began selling the Ditzler brand of automotive

paint after World War II. The Ditzler name eventually changed to PPG and now Hopís Place is a Platinum Distributor for PPG Paint. Factory colors can be matched back to the 1920ís.

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

LOW    PRICING HIGH    QUALITY FAST    SERVICE
 
We  ship  to   satisfied  customer's  WORLDWIDE !
Our experts can research your special need   CLICK HERE
    Personal service has been the hallmark of Hop's Place since formation in 1922. 
Service to the community, customer's and employees.